Hi! I’ve just finished transfer applications, so I have a few tips that I picked up during the process.
- Start early! I’m talking a month at least.
- Your rough draft should be rough. Don’t be afraid that it will suck, because it will – just start writing.
- I probably wrote 15 different versions of each essay I turned in. Don’t be afraid to change directions if one just isn’t working out!
- Make a list of values that are most important to you, and then show them those values. Do you love to help others? Tell them about a time that you reached out to someone and made a difference.
- Write a different essay for each school, or at least tweak the same essay a little for each school.
- Read the school’s website. What do they talk a lot about? What seems to be important qualities in students? Show them that you’d be a good fit.
- Why should they let you into their school? What will you do to bring them some recognition in the future?
- Why do you want to attend that school? How will it help you achieve your goals? Be specific.
- Show them that you’ve done your research,
- Don’t be afraid to talk yourself up! Brag a bit, just don’t sound like a jerk.
- Don’t try to sound too intellectual. There’s this episode of Friends where Joey is writing and uses a thesaurus for every word and ends up signing it “baby kangaroo tribiani”. Bottom line? Admissions officers can tell when you’re sucking up. Use strong words, but not words you would never use in real life.
- Make your essay stand out. Add in a good hook, and some interesting stories if you can.
- Proofread and have multiple other people proofread. It’s worth it.
- Free writing is a lifesaver for brainstorming
from Tumblr http://ift.tt/2pzt4Uv